kiss-met.blogspot.com

Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Age of Internet

The age of Internet is upon us. I have web sites. But most of them are connected to my http://notime.motime.com.

I have always wanted to have a web site, when I heard that there are such a thing, but I do not want to pay for them, both for design and server usage. I wanted to design my own and I want to use free servers. I was told that there are free servers available.

I was very fascinated earlier in life with gadgets, computers (when I saw them in College in UK) and Internet (when it came into being). I first met computers at Brighton Tech. It was hefty, a room full, in panels and all wired up by hard wires. And we used that to resolve some difficult simultaneous equations, and the result was only shown in graphic form on a small CRT. And then we have to interpret those graphs by physical measurements. Very basic but I thought then it was great. Then on TV we had the Man from UNCLE. I was fascinated by the watch-wrist phone. Of course Dr. Who came into being and the rest of it, in earlier years Flash Gordon. And when I was in a trading company, one of the activities then was the sales of computers. I was not involved but I got wind on how interesting the job was.
A PC was provided for me when I was already in my senior years. I have watched all the young guys/gals using PCs, and I was fascinated, even though they only use them for word processing and creating tables purposes then. When one day I found a PC on my desk at the office I did not know what to do. I asked my boss, an Englishman, what a PC was doing on my desk. He turned around to me and said, "Use it". An instruction I thought. It was. And I began to learn various word processing and table making programmes, and I managed to use the PC in the end even though it only, like others, I used it for word processing.. When I was transferred to KL office, we slowly began to reduce staff, no more typist, no more Secretaries, no more Office Boy, no more Filing Clerk and each individual had to do everything. We have to manage the office, to keep our job. And we managed.

When Internet came to Malaysia (I think about 10 years ago) I was one of the first few to have the connection. I had my e-mail account made and I learnt to use a browser, it was only Netscape available over here then and I used that. Then came IE and now the others. I was also fascinated by some home pages which some of my friends have, and I did not have the knowledge how to get one for me. I have always thought that and I have been told also that I have to pay to have a home page made, and I did not want to pay. A nephew came back from the UK and showed me his home page he made at his University and it was for free. So I thought there must be free sites where I can have home page made.
When I retired about 3 1/2 years ago (time does fly), I began searching for sites where I can make myself my home page for free. I found Geocities and I made a home page. They have the facilities and they guided me all the way. I was very pleased with myself. And at the same time there were discussion groups all over the Internet and I joined some of these discussion groups, on all sorts of subjects from technical to computers, from race to religion to politic. And I participated. I learned a lot from these discussion groups. And I also started some discussion groups. Then came chatting but I thought this wasted a lot of time. And time mean money, then there was no broadband in Malaysia, there was only connection made by modem. At first Telekom Malaysia charged only as local calls for connections made by modem but later they time these connections and charge according to time usage. But even then, slow as it was, I managed to roam and create few sites, and participated in some discussion groups. When broadband was introduced about less that 1 year ago, I got connections made about 6 months later and I began to make more web pages. I also was introduced into blogging. I found out that there were so many blog sponsors and I joined some. Where I have to pay I dropped them one by one, and some are also very stingy with server capacities. I pick and choose which are the ones that meet my requirements. I found that a few of them, two of the most friendly are ‘blogspot' and 'motime'. And now I found that multiply is also reliable, and more challenging. They give you very small space to design your page and that to me is challenge of my skills. I have by now learned about html, css and java. Not that I am good in them, and I have some very basic understanding of them. So I use that basic understanding to redesign my pages. I thought that I have now done good job of it all.

My basic sites are http://kiss-met.blogspot.com, http://notime.motime.com, http://consumated.motime.com, http://mylias.multiply.com There are other sites which I have made and these are mostly linked to the above 4 sites, and some I have dropped because I loose interest in them.


To Shout Back

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Teoh said...

well said man...

http://brandonteohno1-it.blogspot.com/2005/02/internet-any-replacement.html

nice to meet someone like you on the Internet..

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home