kiss-met.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My Heart - Looking Back

How many of us would know when we have a heart attack? My Cardiologist told me, "Lias, you had a massive heart attack!" And I said to him, :"No, I did not". And he replied, "You are talking to a Cardiologist" and he said that after looking at my ECG traces and my echo sounding film. I must admit that I was lost for words.

I had this breathless feeling even as late as early June 2004. In Kuantan I used to walk about 3 km each morning in a garden by the beach, Taman Gelora, the area is cooled and shaded by casuarina trees. The place has got a walking track for jogging or for brisk walking and many people go there all day long to exercise. I was one of them and I go in the morning. One morning while I was walking for about less than I km I felt breathless and I slowed down to a stop. After a short rest I continued walking until I could not go any further, that was just about 200 m on. I actually stopped and sat on the ground for a rest. After about ½ an hour I continued slowly to my car, drove home and went to sleep. I woke up after 1 hour luckily. But I never told anyone about my problem. And the next morning I went again for a walk and the same thing happened. So I stopped, until I came back to KL in the middle of June.

In early July I was hospitalised in KL, supposedly due to an infection, and I do not know what that infection was. And in the first week of August, I went back to Kuantan and I was hospitalised the first night I was there, I did not even had time to sleep in my apartment then. In this case I had a clear sign of heart attack but the Doctor who attended to me never told me in so many words. I was hospitalised for 10 days, with all the symptoms and the treatment of a heart attack patient.

But when I was out of the hospital for a few days, I went on a prearranged trip to Taman Negara, with no ill effect. I even went to climb on a hill to get to a canopy walk and I did not feel tired. Anyway, on coming back from the Taman Negara trip, I went back to my Doctor in Kuantan and this time he advised me to quickly consult a Cardiologist about my heart. Still I did not go to see a Cardiologist. Instead when I went back to KL, I went on a trip to the PD Power Station with some exLLN retired officers. And in that trip I tried to be brave though I was in pain. In the power station I climbed 4 stair cases to reached the Control Room. I could have taken the lift but I did not. When I reached the Control Room, I had a very severe chest pain. And after a short while it went away. When I got back to KL, on walking back from the Kilat Club to the LRT station with an old friend, I had to walk very slowly. I had again a severe chest pain. Luckily my friend was very understanding and he walked slowly with me. And on climbing the steps to the overhead bridge to the LRT station, I nearly did not make it except for the encouragement given my friend. I got into the train all right until I reached home.
I decided then I did not want to be a hero anymore so the next day I went to see my Cardiologist. The rest is now history.

In would guess that I had been very lucky. Others may not be so lucky as I was. Many a story had been told earlier on others.


To shout back, e-mail: mylias@tm.net.my


To Shout Back

1 Comments:

Blogger mylias said...

And Kim

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home