kiss-met.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My Heart - A Girl

I am Lias, that is what they call me, that is what my father gave me the name of at birth, and that is what is written in my birth certificate. And of course in my Passport, in my I/C, in all my Certificates, documents and in all else what is and what not. What is worth, I am Lias. So "L" - Lovable, Loyal, Lucky, and Lively. Where do those words come from? From a cute teddy bear, small and green in colour given by an admirer (?), a Chinese girl I met at the Hospital.

Its a long story really. When I went in earlier (about 3 weeks ago) to do have my angiogramme done, I stayed in a 4-man room - a sort of dormitory for the sick at the Hospital, as I thought then would have been a waste of time and money to have a single room for myself. Among those in the room (just opposite me) was a Chinese man who had some sort of lung infection and was coughing the whole night, if not on his handphone the whole day. Anyway he did not have many visitors, but of his regular was a girl who claimed that she was his daughter, pilial daughter it seemed. The brothers were to busy minding their affairs.

By chance, my wife, my daughter and I got talking to this girl and we sort of clicked. And before I left the Hospital, I sort of try to console her on her plight with her father (and brothers).
Anyway when I am in Hospital again for the surgery, and when I got back into the Room after the ICU stint, she saw me when I went for my physiotherapy in the Physiotherapy Room. She happened to be there also doing some sort of physiotherapy. She said ‘Hello’ and I was not sure of her then as she looked quite different and that she was the patient and not her father. I was too sick to talk to anyone then.

A couple of days in the Room later, my Cardiologist friend walked in and said, "There was a girl outside there who gave me this teddy bear to hand over to you". That shocked me, I mean that this Cardiologist being a very senior person at the Hospital and a girl (stranger) dared to give a teddy bear through him to me. All the Nurses over there know how strict this Cardiologist is.
The teddy bear was nicely packed in a plastic container, and there it was. With a nice Gift For You card which was handwritten on it "SMILE "(sunny picture), 21/OCT/04, and EN LIAS GET WELL SOON.................JUST ME (a picture of a heart) - or was it just the head of a fly?
And that evening I got another handwritten note. 21/OCT/2004, 8.05 pm. To EN LIAS ISTERI & ANAK ------WARD 5B. #JUST SETTLED IN. GOING TO REST!# TAKE CARE!!! JUST ME! Anyway when my wife asked about the girl, the Nurses told her that she had moved to another floor, and checking her room confirmed this. But on the morrow she pop in near my Room door with a big smile. Mysterious? Well maybe. I would not like to ask more about her or to tell more about her but I am told that she has made the Hospital her second home.

And I don’t even know her name. But I remember one of the Physiotherapist called her "Miss Wong".

To shout back, e-mail: mylias@tm.net.my


To Shout Back

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home