kiss-met.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My Heart - Preparation

One thing about going into a surgery is their concern about ‘fur’. Yes, your ‘fur’, all body hair. The last time I went into a minor surgery (about 10 days before that for my angiogramme), they sent a beautiful Nurse to shave my pubic hair. I knew that would happen so I have already shaven that before hand. And I politely told her so. But she insisted on checking. I showed her and I showed her ‘everything’. I suppose it was just her ‘job’.

This time I knew that I have to be ‘shaven’ further, but I did not know how much further. It seems that I have to be shaven the whole of my front including my legs. It was all right, I do not have chest hair though so I thought I lost nothing.

On the Tuesday when I was admitted, I was told to clear all visitors by about 7.00 pm as I was about to be shaven. So I politely told my visitors so. And who walked in but a young male in green robe, with shavers. Well I thought, "Male Nurse". Its was OK for me. I was asked to strip and he went about his business quite efficiently so it seemed. Anyway on talking to him, I learned that he was an Electrician. What was he doing on the shaving job anyway?. Part time job he said. My my, I could not believe what I heard. By then it was too late, he was in the middle of finishing shaving me. Would it be not much nicer then if I have had a beautiful female Nurse shaving me? After the shaving job done he left, none the worse for me though but a bit disappointed.

That night I was supposed to be given a sedative to let me sleep peacefully to prepare for my surgery the next day. But all my visitors left very late and the Nurse forgot to give me sedative earlier. At last when all my visitors have left the Nurse came with the sedative. But to me sedative or not I slept peacefully the whole night.

Before the day was over, the Surgeon came to see me to discuss on what was (if any) in my mind about the surgery. He explained briefly on the procedure and gave me the chance to discuss with him matters that I have doubts about. I was free to ask any question. And he answered them the best he could without going into technical details. Then the Anesthetist came. He also explained to me what his job was and how he helps in the surgery. After that my family and I were taken to the ICU to see what the place looks like, the place I was supposed to be ‘living’ for a few days of my life, the critical period after the surgery. I suppose what they wanted me to know was that I should not be shocked when I would be in ICU in that condition when I wake up from the OT.

And I was also supposed to be given something through my anus the next morning before the surgery (or was it the night before?) to clear my large bowels. This was to be ready for the surgery and my ‘living’ in the ICU for a few days. If I remember properly, the next morning the Nurse just did that and I was running to the toilet pretty fast.

Also early the next day (the surgery D-Day) the Nurse came with a Phisohex soap, and a back-to-front knee length gown. Surgery gown. She told me to have a shower using the Phisohex soap to soap my body, for a general cleanliness, and antiseptic. I did just that and felt very refreshed. And I changed into the back-to-front knee length gown but still keeping my sarong on. I found that the gown was too thin and I did not like that. And I had no meal since last night, and after rushing to the toilet earlier I had nothing to worry about.

I thought, well I can wait for my time. A Nurse came, she gave me some pills to swallow - to calm me down she said. I swallowed them and I was told (by others in the room that morning and my wife) that just a few minutes later I was just a limp body.

The next thing I knew I was already in the ICU, just waking up. Surgery done.

To shout back, e-mail: mylias@tm.net.my


To Shout Back

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home