kiss-met.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Is Streamyx (ADSL - Broadband in Malaysia) reliable?

A couple of weeks ago, during a lightning strike near my house in KL, it burnt the modem for Streamyx (ADSL) in my house. And I could not get it replaced on time because it was a weekend and on top of that I was told that it would take 3 days before Telekom Malaysia can provide me with a replacement Streamyx modem. So all in all it took me about 5 days before the modem could be connected and put back into service. And during that time I had to rely on normal modem, which is comparatively very slow, at 50 bps at the most. Streamyx claims that they can do 516 bps but in actual fact they do less than that, about 300 bps (or something). Of course I know that I might have been cheated but like everything else in this country I do not know who to complain to. Even if I know the authority concerned will find a lot of excuse not to entertain me. Sue them in court? Too difficult in this country, so you just bear with it and grin. Or is it that I am scared to look like a fool if I complain? I do not know really.

Now again these couple of days in Kuantan I am again facing problems in trying to use the Streamyx services. I can connect to the services but it does not seem to response when I want to check my e-mail. A few days ago there was no problem but since Thursday I am having problems. Today its Sunday and I am still having problems. Again I do not know who to complain to. So I just live and bear with it and grin. Anyway its a weekend and Telekom does not open its Shop.

In place of the Streamyx services, I just use my normal modem to connect to my e-mail server. Not very successful though, I think there is also a problem with my e-mail server. I use tm.net.my services now as they have facilities to check virus in the incoming mails. And I am still using Jaring as one of my e-mail server but I am reducing that usage drastically as I find that my Jaring account is full of virus and the incoming e-mails are mostly 'dirty' in that sense of the word. And also there are too many spam mails. I want to cut off that Jaring services as soon as I find another e-mail service which is more reliable. I may use the streamyx.com account or I may even use the gmail.com account when I feel hat I am ready to cut off Jaring. Its a pity though as I have been using Jaring since the start of my e-mail days.

Back to Streamyx, I do not know what to say now. May try to talk to Telekom Malaysia about the services and I have a nasty feeling that I will not get a satisfactory answer. Anyway one never knows until one tries.

Earlier I have written an article on Streamyx, that was quite a way back. Its a good piece I think, and it covered a lot of ground, especially then Streamyx was just being introduced. Now the number of subscribers to the Streamyx services have increased drastically, and most of my friends are now subscribers, though I must admit that many of my cyber friends are still not subscribers, a bit expensive they say. I subscribe because I feel that its value for money and I do have the frustration of the modem being cut off so often and I need not have to dial for internet services when I want to get connected. On top of that the Streamyx services charges a fixed sum every month whether you use it or not, so might as well use it. The normal modem charge by the minutes you use it. All in all I think I benefit by using the Streamyx services.

Below is my original article on Streamyx published earlier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really familiar with this. I am not even very familiar with the Internet, even though I have been using it since about 6 years ago (if I remember correctly). I then used Netscape. I had Jaring account. Later when I had tm.net account I also used MS Internet Explorer. For my e-mail I have been using Eudora, which I find very convenient. I have used Opera but not others, not even Outlook.

I used a dial up network using modem - winsock they called it, I think.

When I was working, we were using LAN (or was it WAN?). So all connections were very fast.

The about a year ago I heard about ISDN. And I use ISDN for my office in Kuantan, its cheaper than normal phones as I need 3 lines.

Recently I heard about broadband, streamyx they say. In the chat groups they say its 'fast'. I got curious. I thought then it was expensive so I did not bother to follow on the lead. But soon they lowered the price and in additions added offers on free modem. So I applied in KL, not my initiative really, it was my son who is very interested in IT. Then we got connected to streamyx recently. Yes, it was good. Fast.

Looking at he streamyx packages, as supplied by Telekom Malaysia, they have these packages, Basic, Enterprise, Corporate. Basic at 384 kbps and 512 kbps. Enterprise at 1 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, 2.0 Mbps, and this is identical for Corporate. I got the Basic 512 kbps, but in reality in KL I receive at only about 250 kbps and in Kuantan at about 380 kbps. Good enough, unlike the crawling of modem at about 2.0 to 3.0 kbps when downloading (or is it 20 and 30, no cannot be - that is fast), if I am not mistaken..

I got streamyx in Kuantan quite quickly after I applied, in about 2 weeks I think. And the services that Telekom gave was good they sent Contractors to install my streamyx modem and another who sold and install the network card. And the second Contractor also reconfigured my PC to receive streamyx successfully.

But Telekom is quite out dated with its PR. When I started, I had some problem with my receiving of streamyx signals. I called Telekom in Kuantan to explain my problem. The guy in charge of steamyx at their LCC almost threw me the 'book'. He said Contractor does this and Contractor does that and so on and so forth - and Telekom just sit back and mind the system. So whatever problem that you have please call the appointed Contractor. And in the end he added, "If you have more problem with streamyx, feel free to call me again at 09-5171711.". And I do not know what to make of that, either he was being friendly or just that had recapped on his PR job. In the end I called the Contractor, who pleasantly configured my system. And I am awaiting for the bill from the Contractor. As for Telekom, I do not call them again.

In earlier discussions in one group whose members I know personally, they discussed the pros and cons of being connected to streamyx. I have not recorded those comments though. But I append below some of the comments received recently. Quite interesting, a mixture of local and overseas comments.


Comment 1.

Subject: Re: [xlln] Streamyx Update

Probably late with replies to this thread, but anyway, it took some time for my kampong here to get ADSL (this is the same as streamX). BT over here used a process where people registered their interest and as soon as it comes to a certain number, they will install he equipment at the nearest exchange. Here in Marlborough, they wanted at least 400 registrations, but reduced it to 300 after being put under pressure from the local community. BTW, 20 of the registrations were mine :-). I only got mine at the beginning of this year.

Some towns have set up pressure groups and got away with only 200 odd registrations...

It seems the issue is cost, BT has to bear the cost of the equipment which they said would only break even with about 500 subscribers. So if you live near an exchange where there is a high number of subscribers, you would have a high chance. The other issue is even if you are connected to such an exchange, if you live more that 10km away, the signals will deteriorate too much that they may not offer you the service.

The service I subscribe to is for 512kb, but I constantly get 576kb (eat your heart out Karl).

They do tell you about other services such as satellite, but way too expensive for a home user.

Like IO, I have set up a network for all the computers in the house, both hardwired and wireless (just in case you want to do it in the loo).

My two pennies worth...

Hamzah


Comment 2.

At 23:39 07/01/2004 +0800, you wrote:

Streamyx is singing along here, no problem. Only one
person on this list had his streamyx disconnected due
to unsatisfactory service, but I on my part cannot live
without it. In my house I have a LAN as well as WLAN
and 2 computers are on 24 hours a day.

But it really depends on your location, the nearer the
exchange the better. Me I am 5.5 km from exchange and
it is still good.


Comment 3.

To: 'xlln@yahoogroups.com'
> Subject: RE: [xlln] Streamyx Update
>
> Lucky you, IO.,.. I still can't have streamyx, 'cause Telekom still cannot
> provide the service to my area...,,and we want to be a developed nation by
> 2020????? ...not if Telekoms is still in charge of communication. I am not
> very happy with Telekoms service.
> 1. Five years after applying for a phone line in Janda Baik, I still don't
> have service....and Janda Baik is 30 kms from KL.
> 2. No Streamyx in Bukit Antarabangsa,..........,, 5kms from KL tower.
> 3. My dial up modem line is only good for 28 kbits per sec instead of the
> promised 50+ kbits per sec. as promised due to poor quality cables.
> Everywhere I go worldwide, in the developed world, my laptop will dialup
at
> 56kbits, here in KL I'll be lucky if the same laptop will connect at
> 30kbits.
>
>
> So, if we wanna be a fully developed country, Telekoms must wake up and
> provide QUALITY service, otherwise Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong
> will get all the juicy FDI and we will still be singing Malaysia Boreh at
> every oportuned occation.
> Wake up Telekoms...learn from Ananda ala Maxis ..
> Regards Karl
> ==============
>
>

(Guys, I did not ask your permission, so if you all were to read this article plase forgive me) - Lias

Great contrasts. Maybe soon Bukit Antarabangsa KL will get their streamyx services.


To shout back, e-mail: mylias@tm.net.my


To Shout Back

1 Comments:

Blogger lucia said...

hi mylias. first time i'm making a comment here... but not first time i'm reading your blog of course. :)

ok. about streamyx. you know i had applied for streamyx through a reseller at a computer fair in early april, but until now i have not heard anything. and the problem is i forgot the name of the reseller. i don't know if they had submitted my application to telekom. if yes, maybe i can check with telekom.

oh i subsribe to the RM60 (or is it RM66?) per month package without free modem but got the modem at discounted price. i prefer this package as i only pay RM60 every month whereas the RM88 package, yes free modem, but free modem is only once-off thingy and i have to pay RM88 every month... not worth it.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home